Connect with us

Entertainment

Jake Gyllenhaal Reuniting With Director Denis Villeneuve For New Movie

Published

on

Jake Gyllenhaal reveals he’s working on a new movie with Denis Villeneuve, who directed him in the 2013 thriller films Prisoners and Enemy.

Jake Gyllenhaal has revealed he’s currently working on a new film with Denis Villeneuve, director of the upcoming Dune remake. Gyllenhaal and Villeneuve have previously worked together on two films that were released back-to-back in 2013. The first, Prisoners, cast Gyllenhaal as a detective investigating a child abduction. The second, Enemy, was a neo-noir psychological thriller that finds Gyllenhaal’s character discovering his doppelgänger.

In an interview with cinematographer Roger Deakins on the Team Deakins podcast, Gyllenhaal stated that “there is something we are working on now,” referring to himself and Villeneuve. While no information about the plot has been revealed, Villeneuve previously mentioned he wants to return to a smaller film after Dune and the successes of his other box office darlings Arrival and Blade Runner 2049. However, after playing the villain Mysterio in Spider-Man: Far From Home, this would be a return to form for Gyllenhaal, due to most of his recent work being mid-budget ventures.

Related: What to Expect From Denis Villeneuve’s Dune 2020

Gyllenhaal and Villeneuve already have a proven track record. Adding a third film to their creative partnership seems both beneficial to their personal artistry and breadth of work but also to the fans of the films they have been making while apart. It will be interesting to see Villeneuve scaling back from box office hits and their grand budgets in order to tackle a film that’s in the ballpark of his first few movies. The duo pulling off a “threepeat” could be a highlight of recent film history.

Next: Every Denis Villeneuve Movie Ranked From Worst To Best

Source: Team Deakins podcast

Key Release Dates

  • Dune (2020)Release date: Dec 18, 2020

Tyra Banks Dancing With The Stars Premiere

DWTS: Tyra Banks Blasted On Twitter Over 2020 Hosting Debut


About The Author

Entertainment

Oscar Isaac, Jake Gyllenhaal Are Gonna Make You an Offer You Can’t Refuse 

Published

on

By

One might think that nearly 50 years after its release, we’ve said everything that can be said about The Godfather. Francis Ford Coppola’s gangster epic is about as famous as a movie can be, its legend forever cemented in film history. And yet—Hollywood has found a novel way to tap into the the film’s infamous production. Enter Oscar Isaac and Jake Gyllenhaal. 

Both actors are set to star in the upcoming film Francis and the Godfather, a Barry Levinson-helmed drama about The Godfather’s madcap journey to theaters. Isaac has been cast as Coppola, who was then a 31-year-old filmmaker with a screenwriting Oscar under his belt for penning the war biopic Patton. The future auteur, who would go on to direct films like The Conversation and Apocalypse Now, as well as sequels to The Godfather, wasn’t the first choice to adapt the bestselling Mario Puzo novel; he only landed the project after directors like Sergio Leone and Peter Bogdanovich declined. 

Gyllenhaal is set to play Robert Evans, Paramount’s head of production, who had to green-light and oversee the movie. Evans clashed with Coppola repeatedly over the course of production, especially when it came to casting. Paramount was, now infamously, against several of Coppola’s casting choices, including Al Pacino as Michael Corleone and Marlon Brando as Don Vito Corleone. Both actors, of course, would go on to give iconic performances in the film. (Let dream-casting for young Pacino and Brando begin!) 

“Out of the madness of production, and against all odds, a classic film happened,” Levinson said in a statement to Deadline. 

Coppola issued an approving statement of his own: “Any movie that Barry Levinson makes about anything, will be interesting and worthwhile!”

This Godfather project is separate from the upcoming 10-episode Paramount+ series The Offer, which is also about the making of the movie. The series will be executive produced by Michael Tolkin (Escape at Dannemora), but does not yet have any cast members attached. 

Adding to this ’70s nostalgia train is Ben Affleck’s The Big Goodbye, an upcoming movie about the making of Chinatown, another Paramount project that Evans shepherded through production. The movie will go behind the scenes of the classic noir, which starred Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway and was directed by now disgraced filmmaker Roman Polanski. The film has not yet been cast, but it seems likely that someone will have to play Evans—so prepare yourself for the inevitable comparing and contrasting between that performance and Gyllenhaal’s. The kid (and all his doppelgangers) stay in the picture.

More Great Stories From Vanity Fair

— Elle Fanning Is Our October Cover Star: Long May She Reign
— Kate Winslet, Unfiltered: “Because Life Is F–king Short”
— Emmys 2020: Schitt’s Creek Makes Emmy History With Complete Sweep
— Charlie Kaufman’s Confounding I’m Thinking of Ending Things, Explained
— Ta-Nehisi Coates Guest-Edits “The Great Fire,” a Special Issue
— Revisiting One of Princess Diana’s Most Iconic Dresses
The Nest Is One of the Best Films of the Year
— From the Archive: Too Hepburn for Hollywood

— Not a subscriber? Join Vanity Fair to receive full access to VF.com and the complete online archive now.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Ghost Of Tsushima & RDR2 Discounted In PS4 Games Of A Generation Sale

Published

on

By

PlayStation is hosting a “Games of a Generation” sale, featuring massive discounts on hit titles such as Ghost of Tsushima and Red Dead Redemption 2.

The PlayStation Store is celebrating the PlayStation 4’s library with the “Games of a Generation” sale, including Ghost of Tsushima, Red Dead Redemption 2 and other hits from across the console’s lifetime. The sale features impressive discounts on popular PS4 titles and may be the last sale of significance until after the PS5 is released next month. Combined with the Games Under $15 sale and the ongoing Big in Japan sale, it seems like the time is now right for Sony enthusiasts to round out their PS4 libraries.

It’s not surprising that Sony is upping its game when it comes to its online marketplace; the Xbox Games Pass has been in the news quite a bit recently due to Microsoft’s acquisition of ZeniMax Media, a promotion that allows users to access the first month of Games Pass for $1, and the announcement that Doom: Eternal will be landing on the service on October 1. Additionally, Microsoft has announced that the Xbox Series X and S will both be almost fully backwards compatible, lending a great deal of content to the next-gen consoles on day one. Although the PS5 will be backwards compatible with many titles from the PS4’s library, it does not appear that games from earlier consoles will be available – at least not yet.

Continue scrolling to keep reading
Click the button below to start this article in quick view.

Related: PS5 Preorders: How & Where To Order A PlayStation 5

The sale is live on the PlayStation Store until October 15 and features discounts on a veritable goldmine of PS4 hits. Games like the massively popular Ghost of Tsushima are 25 percent off, with slightly older titles like Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order being half off. The sale doesn’t solely focus on recent titles either; Call of Duty Black Ops III – Zombies Chronicles Edition is a staggering 67 percent off, and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt can be acquired for only $12. The special edition of Red Dead Redemption 2 is another standout, which is marked down from the original $80 to $28. Other notable titles are Middle-Earth: Shadow of War Definitive Edition for $12 and Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience for $8.

PlayStation Store

This sale is not just an opportunity for PS4 owners, but for prospective PS5 owners as well. It’s been confirmed that 99 percent of PS4 games will be playable on PS5, meaning most titles available in the sale will make the leap to next-gen. Although Spider-Man is not included in the ongoing sale, it’s been confirmed that Spider-Man: Miles Morales will include a remastered copy of PS4’s Spider-Man, adding one more PS4 classic to the PS5’s library.

This sale is a great opportunity for Sony to showcase which games it considers to be most the most significant of the current generation. Although it doesn’t contain every game one might think of when considering the PS4’s legacy, it is certainly a fantastic representation and reminder of the reasons gamers bought the console in the first place. If the games included in this sale are backwards compatible on the PS5 on launch day, then Sony has made a great case for going with the next console on day one without losing access to some of the best games on PS4.

Next: PS5 Expectations Hyped Up By Sony On PlayStation 1’s 25th Birthday

Source: PlayStation Store

iman vellani ms marvel

Marvel Made The Right Choice With Ms. Marvel’s Actor


About The Author

Continue Reading

Entertainment

M. Night Shyamalan, Biden Campaign Team Up for Filmmaking Contest

Published

on

By

For the contest, M. Night Shyamalan encouraged fellow filmmakers to create brief videos about the importance of voting.

M. Night Shyamalan has teamed with Joe Biden’s presidential campaign on a filmmaking contest to encourage Americans to vote in the 2020 presidential election.

Filmmakers can submit short films up to 90 seconds long about voting via the contest’s website or by uploading directly to Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #VoteByNight. Shyamalan, alongside Biden and Kamala Harris’ campaign, will review the submissions, and the top thee filmmakers will be invited to a virtual meet-up with Shyamalan to discuss art, film, and the power of storytelling. Submissions may also be featured in Biden-Harris campaign programming.

“We had this idea about asking people to make short films up to 90 seconds long about voting, about why they’re voting, how did they vote, who do they want to encourage to vote, and who’s stopping them from voting,” Shyamalan said in a video on Twitter. “Tell it in any format. You can do it as a thriller, you could do it as a comedy, a documentary. Use your storytelling power to encourage people and to wake them up to their own agency. We really feel this is an important way that all of us can be a part of this incredible moment in history.”

The filmmaking campaign was announced the day after Biden participated in the first presidential debate against president Donald Trump — a noisy and incomprehensible event that was quickly derailed by the president’s meandering insults and lies. Trump generated widespread controversy for refusing to condemn white supremacy, encouraging the far-right hate group Proud Boys to “stand back and stand by,” and urging “supporters to go into the polls and watch very carefully.”

As for Shyamalan, the filmmaker has directed a handful of high-profile titles over the last few years, including “Glass,” a superhero film starring James McAvoy, Bruce Willis, and Samuel L. Jackson, as well as the psychological horror prequel film, “Split.” Shyamalan also executive produced and directed two episodes of the Apple TV+ television series “Servant,” which premiered in 2019.

The deadline for submissions for Shyamalan’s Biden-Harris filmmaking contest is October 12. More information on the contest is available here.

The 2020 presidential election will take place November 3.

Sign Up: Stay on top of the latest breaking film and TV news! Sign up for our Email Newsletters here.

Continue Reading

Hot Stories