Non-profit film organization SFFILM has selected four non-fiction film projects as recipients of this year’s SFFILM Documentary Film Fund.
The fund, with grants totaling US$80,000, was created in 2011 to support feature-length documentaries that are currently in the post-production stages and spotlight “compelling stories, intriguing characters, [and] an innovative visual approach”.
The four films awarded $20,000 each in funding include Giovanni Buccomino’s After a Revolution (working title; pictured), about a brother and sister who fought on opposite sides of the Libyan revolution; Clarke Lyons and Gabe Dinsmoor’s Squeegee, which documents a young group of people in Baltimore and their struggle to overcome poverty; Farah Kassem’s We Are Inside, profiling the relationship between a Lebanese father and his prodigal daughter who returns home after a decade away; and Rintu Thomas and Sushmit Ghosh’s Writing with Fire, about a newspaper run by Dalit women in one of India’s most socially oppressive states.
Reviewing the 11 finalists’ submissions was a jury panel consisting of Sofia Alicastro, SFFILM artist development manager for filmmaker programs; Jennifer Battat, founder of the Jenerosity Foundation; Jason Ishikawa, senior executive at Cinetic Media; Anne Lai, SFFILM executive director; and film producer Diane Quon.
“Each project tackles its particular exploration of identity and place in remarkably thoughtful and creative ways, and they all have the potential to move and inspire audiences all over the world,” said the jury in a statement. “We’re impressed by the vividness with which these films depict their communities, the spaces they inhabit, and the conflicts they face, and we look forward to these stories being told to as wide an audience as possible.”
Past SFFILM Documentary Film Fund grantees include Ljubo Stefanov and Tamara Kotevska’s Honeyland, RaMell Ross’ Hale County This Morning, This Evening, Hassan Fazili’s Midnight Traveler, and Luke Lorentzen’s Midnight Family.
Back together or keeping it platonic? Hannah Brown and Tyler Cameron caught the attention of Bachelor Nation fans with their recent get-together in L.A.
On Monday, September 28, the pair dined with Cameron’s pal Jacob “Brown Bear” Laham. A photo from the catchup was shared by multiple Bachelor fan accounts, causing many to wonder why they were out together and what is going on between the exes, who were last spotted together when the former Bachelorette quarantined with Cameron and his crew in Florida in March.
“Hannah lives in California full-time now. Tyler has been traveling a lot and working on his YouTube channel and other projects,” a source tells Us Weekly exclusively. “He was in New Mexico first and now he’s in L.A. So, he met up with Hannah while in town.”
The insider adds, “They’re really good friends and are always in touch. So it just seemed like the natural thing to do. They hadn’t seen each other face-to-face in a while, so it was nice to catch up and kick back.”
Brown, 26, isn’t the only Bachelor Nation pal Cameron, 27, plans to see during his L.A. visit, but the source said that “the attention always shifts to Hannah specifically because of their past.”
Brown and Cameron connected on The Bachelorette’s 15th season last year. The Barkitecture host ended the competition as her runner-up, and she picked Jed Wyatt during the final rose ceremony.
Brown broke off her engagement to Wyatt, 26, in the season 15 finale after learning he had a girlfriend back home he left to appear on the show. During the After the Final Rose special, the former beauty queen asked Cameron out on a date. Though the pair caught up in L.A. after the series wrapped, he went on to briefly date Gigi Hadid. (The supermodel has since reconnected with longtime boyfriend Zayn Malik and they announced the birth of their child on September 23.)
Brown and Cameron’s recent L.A. hangout comes six months after the pair quarantined together for weeks in Florida. At the time, they were joined by Bachelor Matt James and other pals, dubbing themselves the “Quarantine Crew” on TikTok and Instagram.
In May, Cameron raved about his “great friendship” with Brown following their complicated history. “We both care about each other a lot and want each other to be happy,” he told Us, adding that “it was nice to kind of put our past behind us and be able to have that friendship again.”
Cameron later told Us in August that he’s had discussions with Brown about what might have been. “[It’s] definitely something I think about,” he said at the time. “And we’ve talked about [it] before. There’s all these what-ifs, but you can’t live in that world. What-ifs will kill you. You know? So, I try to stay away from that kind of thinking.”
Meanwhile, the Dancing With the Stars champ said in an Instagram Live earlier this year that she “definitely” wanted to “be in a relationship” again. However, Brown admitted that she “needed a little break and I definitely took that.”
Listen to Here For the Right Reasons to get inside scoop about the Bachelor franchise and exclusive interviews from contestants!
Over the weekend, model Chrissy Teigen opened up about some “scary” complications of her pregnancy.
Teigen revealed that she has been admitted to a hospital due to excessive bleeding. On her Instagram Story, she said, “We’re talking more than your period, girls, but definitely not spotting. A lot of people spot and it’s usually fine. But mine was a lot.”
“Every time I’d go to the bathroom, it would be blood, but honestly, just laying there would be blood. But today the big difference was that it kind of was like you were to turn a faucet on to low and leave it there,” Chrissy added. “It was at the point today where it was, like, never stopping.”
Aside from the bleeding, Teigen noted that she is feeling “really good,” adding, “I feel happier than I do not pregnant. That’s why it’s so, so hard for me to come to terms with.”
As for the health of her third child, Teigen shared, “The baby is so healthy, growing stronger than Luna or Miles. He moves a lot. He’s moved so much earlier than they ever did. He’s like a roly-poly. We have like a million great pictures of him. He’s just so different than they were. So he’s so strong and I’m just so excited for him because he’s so wonderful and just the strongest little dude, so I can’t wait for him.”
Of her “weak placenta,” Chrissy emphasized, “Basically, he’s the strongest, coolest dude in the s—tiest house. His house is just falling apart. It didn’t have a good foundation to begin with, though. He didn’t have the strongest chance at the very, very beginning.”
“Basically, if I can make it through the next few weeks, if little boy can make it through the next few weeks, then, you know, we can go from there and be able to kind of get through the danger zone or whatever,” Teigen went on. “But we have to get through this first. So, yeah, it is scary. But it’s scary in the way that there’s just really nothing to do.”
Despite her pregnancy struggles, Teigen asked that people not pity her since she’s “okay.”
Teigen also posted video of husband John Legend, who has been by her side during her hospitalization.
In one video, Legend was seen making a sandwich for his wife of seven years.
(ORLANDO, Fla.) — Squeezed by limits on attendance at its theme parks and other restrictions due to the pandemic, The Walt Disney Co. said Tuesday it planned to lay off 28,000 workers in its parks division in California and Florida.
Two-thirds of the planned layoffs involve part-time workers but they ranged from salaried employees to nonunion hourly workers, Disney officials said.
Disney’s parks closed last spring as the pandemic started spreading in the U.S. The Florida parks reopened this summer, but the California parks have yet to reopen as the company awaits guidance from the state of California.
In a letter to employees, Josh DÁmaro, chairman of Disney Parks, Experience and Product, said his management team had worked hard to try to avoid layoffs. They had cut expenses, suspended projects and modified operations but it wasn’t enough given limits on the number of people allowed into the park because of social distancing restrictions and other pandemic-related measures, he said.
“As heartbreaking as it is to take this action, this is the only feasible option we have in light of the prolonged impact of COVID-19 on our business, including limited capacity due to physical distancing requirements and the continued uncertainty regarding the duration of the pandemic,” he said.
Disney officials said the company would provide severance packages for the employees, where appropriate, and also offer other services to help workers with job placement.
The Coronavirus Brief. Everything you need to know about the global spread of COVID-19
For your security, we’ve sent a confirmation email to the address you entered. Click the link to confirm your subscription and begin receiving our newsletters. If you don’t get the confirmation within 10 minutes, please check your spam folder.